Cardel Rec South began as a "vision" of a community - based recreation centre for the residents of Fish Creek Provincial Park by a small group of concerned community residents in the mid 1990's. With perseverance and hard work, the Cardel Rec South became a reality in January 2001 with the opening of Phase 1; which was comprised of two arenas, one gymnasium and a couple of meeting rooms.
This small group of community innovators has grown over the years, and today our Association is comprised of equal representation from the following associations:
- Shawnee/Evergreen Community Association
- Somerset/Bridlewood Community Association
- Midnapore Hockey Association
- Mid Sun Community Association
- Millrise Community Association
- Shaw Meadows Hockey Association
- Shawnessy Community Association
- Axeman/Sabrecats Lacrosse Association
- South Calgary Community Basketball Association
- City of Calgary
- Calgary Colts Football Association
- Calgary Buffaloes Hockey Association
- Chaparral Community Association
- Members at large from the community
In early 2006, our Board listened when the community said that our new facility, despite being only 5 years old, was not meeting the recreation facility needs of the community. After detailed consultation with the City and our community; the decision was made to embark on an exciting expansion plan.
Working with three levels of government and a supportive community, the addition of two new arenas, five meeting/multi-purpose rooms, tenant's spaces and centralized administration offices were added to the Cardel Rec South in February 2012. With four indoor ice arenas under one roof, we are pleased to be the first community - operated quad arena facility in the province of Alberta.
In addition to our first - class recreation facilities, the Cardel Rec South also offers a complete range of recreational programs to the citizens of Calgary. To date, the community has benefited from a wide variety of structured and unstructured gym and ice programs, home schooling lessons; as well as sports, language and arts programs.
Our facilities and programs are complimented by the following tenants:
- Panther Sports Medicine
- Big Sky Fitness
- Calgary Blades Skate Sharpening
- CenteRice Cafe and
- Booster Juice